Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Laughing at 14,000 feet

One thing harder than climbing up to a pass over 14,000 feet high, is laughing at 14,000 feet. We'd hike along, slowly putting one foot in front of the other, concentrating on breathing in and out. Then one of us would say something or do something hilarious and suddenly I would be gasping for air, desperately trying to stop laughing for fear of passing out right there on the trail.

It was to be expected as I traveled with two of the most positive, encouraging people I know who can walk into a room and make everyone smile. As I flew over South America thinking about what I was most looking forward to on this trip, I thought, "I am probably going to laugh for the next 10 days straight." After 24 hours of hardly talking to anyone, I was looking forward to not just the laughter, but of the conversations we would have about life, the constant encouragement, and the way that I knew they would help me let go of my need to constantly be in control and know exactly what's happening next. They were the perfect compliment to my logical, always planning self.

We met up easily in the airport and sure enough, the laughter started immediately as we fended off men shouting "Taxi! Taxi!" and recounted the past 24 hours of our travels trying to get to Lima--Me, through San Salvador and the two of them through Fort Lauderdale. From our broken Spanish to crashing a local festival, we were having a lot of fun as three girls roaming through a foreign country.

On our trek, a 7 year-old and a 9 year-old were thrown into the mix. The two French-speaking Australian boys quickly became the center of attention for 13 adults, and they hammed it up every minute of the trek. From spontaneously playing tag on the side of the mountain, to making us pinky promise, they added another element of joy.

I miss my traveling buddies and my trekking friends everyday now. Saying goodbye as I got in the taxi was the hardest thing for me to do on this trip. I miss how spontaneous I was with them. I miss their smiles. I miss having people who understand why I would wear a bright pink Fort Lauderdale shirt. I miss singing songs with them. But most of all, I miss laughing so much that I have to stop walking up the mountain and catch my breath.

Thank you for an amazing trip and teaching me to let go a little more often. I wish I was there with you now, seeing if the trip to the lake was really worth it or if you ever found a kite to fly for the last half of your trip.

(P.S. Pictures are up...see link to the left.)

No comments: