
It all started with an e-mail. In March, on a rare weekend when I wasn't in the mountains, two friends invited me on a trip. Actually, one friend forwarded me directions to Bodega Bay writing "want to come?" in the body of the e-mail. I asked for more details, but really, those were the details. The plan was to drive, hit a few small towns in Sonoma County and at some point end up in Bodega Bay. Always up for day trips, I went along.
We drove on freeways, highways and got lost on a little two-lane road called "Joy". We ate fish tacos, delicious frozen yogurt and drank lots coffee and tea. We stopped at a sketchy road side coffee shop, encountered some cows and climbed a tree. Eventually we found ourselves in Bodega Bay. We stopped for about 5 minutes, watched the sunset and then headed home.
For the next two months, nearly every weekend involved some adventure--Tahoe, Oakland, Santa Cruz, a beer garden in Muir Woods, walking tour through San Francisco. In the midst of all that, plans for a trip to Peru began. At first they were just talks. An idea, but not a lot of plans. Then they bought their tickets for a month-long trip. Then I bought my ticket to join them for 10 days. Still no plans.
We eventually did make a few plans while I would be there. We were going to trek through the Andes and eventually end up at Machu Picchu. None of us had life-long dreams to go, but that was usual. Pick a place, go there, and see what there was to see. Most of the adventure was in what we encountered along the way and not necessarily in the destination. So off we went. I'll tell a few of the tales in the next few days. Stay tuned.
No comments:
Post a Comment