Saturday, July 03, 2010

Cooking all day, eating all night

If I can't work all day supporting career changers, well, I'm going to cook all day. My dinner party last night was just the thing I needed to remind myself that life is definitely going to move on, and in much more positive ways. The best of my work is yet to come and in the mean time, I'm going to make really good food for my friends.

I forgot to take pictures, but here's an overview of what I spent 7 hours creating in the kitchen. (And I only set off the smoke alarm once!)

For appetizers I made cheese sticks. (I didn't make the puff pastry, because who wants to slave all day over a dough that might not turn out when you can buy it in the store. I simply haven't mastered dough making. Soon though.) I also made hummus, eggplant spread and delicious crustinis topped with avocado and cherry tomatoes. Hello summer foods. I love you.

For dinner we had cod with a tomato sauce with capers, fennel, onion and basil. I served this with FRESH green beans and Israeli Couscous made with a lovely vegetable stock steeped with saffron. For those who don't enjoy fish, I made lemon chicken.

Finally, I made a delicious dark chocolate cake, to which my friend creatively added sea salt to his slice. I myself chose to top it off with ripe summer berries and homemade whipped cream. But next time I'll try the sea salt.

But best of all, my friends came to toast to my freedom, my new adventures and the beautiful way that God is working his grace through me.

No comments: