This fall has had some amazing highlights, but has been hard in ways I didn't anticipate. It's hard to socialize when I'm in bed by 10pm and spend most afternoons after school getting ready for the next day or writing a paper (after taking an hour nap, of course). I've decided to stay involved in Young Life and to continue tutoring an awesome 8th grader twice a week, which has meant that I just don't have the time to maintain all my friendships. This has made me really sad at times in the past few months. I suppose if I stayed of Facebook and didn't see all the fun that people are having, I wouldn't be as sad.
I've definitely questioned my decisions to prioritize my volunteer work over doing other things. Is it really worth it? But then on Thursday I opened my Facebook page and had a message from a former Young Life student who I took to camp this summer. She's in college now, taking a class called "Creating a Meaningful Life" and needs to interview a mentor or someone she look up to. She asked me if she could interview me. Tears filled my eyes instantly when I read that. Some days what I need is just a small affirmation that what I'm doing actually matters.
(And thanks to some of you for encouragement over the past week.)
No comments:
Post a Comment