Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Learning Everyday

One of the best things about my job, is that I am literally learning something new everyday. What did I learn today? Chinese brush painting at an art museum.

I also learned a few words in Spanish. On the trip home from the museum some students gave me a little lesson, then gave me a quiz. My favorite part was when one of them, who is one of my focal students for my thesis and has a REALLY hard time focusing in school, asked me to say the number "51" in Spanish. I didn't know, but started to guess using what I knew in French. I said "cinq" and then stopped. Then he said, "You have it! You're so close." And I gave a look that said I don't know. And he said "Keep trying!" Then his friend blurted it out. And he said "You had it. You have to believe in yourself."

Price. less. I think we should give our youth more opportunities to teach the adults. And not just with things like language. But real things. I'm convinced that the classroom space would change if the teacher was not the only who got to teach everyday.

No comments: