Monday, March 03, 2008

Modern Day Injustices

On Sunday, the president of the International Justice Mission, Gary Haugen, came to speak at my church. I've been excited to hear him speak, because I love when sermons are focused on social justice and cause us to wiggle uncomfortably in the pews. Too often I think those of us that live in upper class neighborhoods, like Menlo Park, get to comfortable with our surroundings. Sitting in our lawn chairs, soaking up the sun, we forget that simple things, like running water and closets full of multiple shoes and outfits, are considered a luxury to a majority of the world's population. It's easy for me to believe that God is good, because I have so much to be thankful for--I can go to the beach and see beautiful sunsets, I have a job where I can make money and buy groceries, I have friends that I can meet up with for coffee, and I have an apartment with a great front porch where I can read a book on Sunday afternoon.

Gary shared with us that while we live relatively free from injustice, millions of people around the world suffer from huge injustices. Slavery, forced prostitution, disease from malnutrition are still prevalent. Suffering abounds because of abuse of power--those that are weaker have the good things that God has given them taken away. At one point Gary asked, how are those that are suffering from injustice supposed to believe that God is good?

I hadn't heard injustice be put in quite these terms before. And it got me thinking that amidst all our luxuries and freedoms, we trick ourselves into believing that life is all about working hard during the week so we can entertain ourselves on the weekends. But while I get to bask in the sun on my porch, thanking God for the incredible blessings in my life, single women like me in other parts of the world are having their land taken away. And I refuse to believe that I should just ignore the injustices and be overwhelmed by the situation.

I'm not sure what this means exactly for my life. But I know that I don't want to sit in Menlo Park going living day after day to accomplish my own goals. As Gary noted in his sermon, we are all on a journey, but a lot of us are missing a great adventure. A great adventure to bring justice to those who have suffered because of the inequalities in this world. I want to be on that great adventure.

P.S. You should check out Gary's talk at http://www.mppcfamily.org/app/w_page.php?id=49&type=section .

No comments: