Sunday, November 25, 2007

Blessed

As the year comes to a close, and I had some time to reflect this week, I am overwhelmed by the blessings in my life. I became even more aware of the blessings I had as I read three books recently. I had a lot of time to read this month, between a few long weekends and using public transportation while my car was in the shop. All three--The Tortilla Curtain, Left to Tell, and A Thousand Splendid Suns made me incredibly thankful for the life I can lead, as a woman living in the United States.

I have never been shut up in a bathroom for 3 months with 7 other women to survive a genocide. I have never had a machete put to my head. I have never been denied education because of my ethnicity. I have never had to forage for work or food. I have never had to live without shelter. I have never had to live in fear of being deported. I will never have to be in an arranged marriage. I don't live in fear of being raped. I have never had a family member killed. I have never had the military take over my town. I can walk in the streets without my face and body covered. I can go to the library and check out a book. I can go to school. I have two parents. I earn my own salary. I walk to church freely. I have the world at my fingertips.

I highly recommend all three of these books. The amount of sorrow a human can withstand, and still have hope, amazes me and inspires me to live a little less selfishly.

No comments: