Saturday, November 17, 2007

My neighbor

Last weekend I was up in Port Townsend, Washington, speaking to a group of high schoolers about one of my favorite subjects-social justice. Six years ago I took a trip to inner-city Chicago, and had no idea that it would change my life, or that I would still be reflecting on how those seven days redefined my faith. Or that I would get to share those lessons with high school students who are longing for something more fulfilling than what our culture has to offer.

Through the course of the four talks I gave at retreat, I focused on the story in Matthew, where a young lawyer asks Jesus what are the greatest commandments. And Jesus replies, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart. And love your neighbor as yourself." I posed the question, How can we love our neighbor in a culture that encourages us to only think about ourselves?

I struggle with this question a lot. I love myself quite a bit-- I buy nice clothes. I live in an apartment with my own bedroom and bathroom. I eat when I want to. I sleep when I want to. I watch movies when I want to. I call my parents when I want to. I have several pairs of shoes I can wear each day. I buy music when I want to. I drive to the city when I want to. Most of my day is consumed with taking care of me and my needs, and my responsibilities at work.

The only answer I had for the students was to begin at the first commandment Jesus listed. If I am to overcome my self-absorption at all, I have to first believe that there is something else to live for. And that there is a God, who is part of a Kingdom that is far richer and more glorious than anything this world has to offer.

No comments: