In the midst of all the graduations I attended this last week, my family and I also celebrated my grandfather's 80th birthday. One of the gifts we gave him was a book of 80 memories we had of Pop. Each of us were assigned to write 5 memories or things we learned from him. As I read through all the memories, I realized how amazing my grandfather is. He's not a flashy guy by any means, and lives life without much fanfare. But his commitment to his family, and his persistent pursuit of living life fully and with integrity was prevalent throughout the 80 memories.
As I am trying to make my way through life, and figure out what is important to me, I see that I have a lot to learn from him. He lives adventurously--imagine backpacking when you are 80 years old! His self worth doesn't come from his own pride or accomplishments, but rather how well he serves others. He lives with a joy that is never comprised with jealousy. He loves his wife more than anyone else I have ever known, with that amazing, consistent love that doesn't mind the other person's quirks. He works hard, and consistently, without complaint. He serves his family, colleagues and friends without seeing it as sacrifice, but as a way of life. He lives humbly without being meek. He provides wisdom and insight without being pushy. I've never heard him raise his voice, swear, speak ill of someone, or hold a grudge. Perhaps this all why he has lived so long, so well. He has learned how to live genuinely in a world that values quickness, loudness, edginess, self-promotion and efficiency. There is nothing efficient about spending an afternoon carving animals out of wood. But it's what my grandfather chooses to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment