I was lying in bed after work, trying to take a nap when I started listing off all the reasons that this day was particularly bad and how I could run things so much better than those I work with. At 6:00pm, I was still upset that when I arrived at work, a younger staff member, not knowing how to operate the copier, jammed the machine so I couldn't make the zillion copies I needed for the day.
Then, what I suspect was a little nudging from up above, I thought about my brother and his efforts to raise money for those that don't have access to clean water. My little tiff with the copy machine seemed like a silly complaint compared to having to walk for hours to get dirty water. Then I started listing in my head all the blessings I had that day:
- I woke up in very comfortable bed, with clean sheets, a house kept at a pleasant temperature, fresh air blowing in the window.
- I walked down the hall to a clean bathroom with running water to wash my face and brush my teeth.
- I opened the fridge and had a variety of options for breakfast. I wouldn't go hungry today.
- I walked back to my room to choose an outfit from a myriad of different clean skirts, shoes, shirts and pants that I own. I didn't have to wear anything that was dirty.
- I picked out a coat to keep me warm before the fog burned off.
- I drove my well-kept car full of gas across town. I wouldn't have to sit on a bus for an hour.
- I worked all day at a job that I love and where I get paid decently.
- I visited the botanical gardens, a place I've never been before and got to stand on a bridge with 3 other students, watching a heron fly to the pond.
- I used my rights as a citizen in this city to speak at a public hearing to voice my opinion in front of the Board of Supervisors.
- I came home to a professional cleaned house. My roommates and I can afford this once-a-month luxury.
Turns out, my day wasn't so bad. My heart just needed a little perspective to remember that my life is overflowing with goodness.
No comments:
Post a Comment