Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Inspiration

One of the things I'm enjoying in this in-between-stage, after getting a credential but before I finish my thesis, is visiting classrooms. With substitute teaching, I can steal ideas that I see on the walls of the class. But what's better is going to see a great teacher in action. Today, a friend of mine and I went to visit a 5th grade classroom and I was reminded of what good teaching looks like--facilitating conversations between students and asking more questions than giving answers. It was wonderful.

But what really blew me away was a poem written by a student that was displayed on the wall. Here are a couple stanzas:

Imagine
A scribbled note
All You Need is Love
That spoke for it.

Imagine,
A hurt friend
Hobbling back
As fast as she could.

Oh. My. Gosh. How beautiful. I was alone in the room as the kids were at recess. My breath stopped for a few seconds when I read that. I re-read it and re-read it until my friend came back in the room. I love the way youth see the world and express themselves. They see things so differently, but also I think they see truth and beauty and pain more clearly, without the distractions of the adult world.

There's a line from a singer/songwriter that I love that love. She writes, Little ones teach the big to be free/Children are only un-costumed humanity.

We, who have been costumed and trained out of our creativity, have so much to learn from youth. As a teacher I hope to train my ear to listen to them.

No comments: