If you work with any type of young people--infants through college--and you make the job about serving them, not yourself, it's all consuming. I've known this for awhile now. It's one of the reasons I waited several years after college to go into k-12 classroom teaching. I knew the job would require more than anything I had ever experienced emotionally, mentally and physically. I had a taste of it while I taught in the after-school setting. But nothing can really prepare you for the weight of knowing that you are solely responsible for being ready at 7:50am every single day to greet students and guide them through the next 7 hours.
Right now I teach a maximum of 2 hours a day in my first student teaching placement. Usually I teach one 40 minute session with 1st graders. I teach them phonics, writing and reading. Really, really, important topics! I felt the weight of this as I spent Sunday afternoon prepping for the lesson I gave today. I am teaching them fundamental skills to help them engage with the world, not to mention skills they will need for second grade.
Right now I have the support of my master teacher, but in less than a year, I will be ready for my own classroom. For these tiny lessons I already spend late nights reflecting, planning and prepping. Then I wake up early for more prep and my commute to school. I'm starting to say no to a lot of activities I used to say yes to in an instant. I want to be the best teacher I can be, and right now that means my students come first. I'm practicing what my life will look like as I become the sole person managing the learning experiences of 30 + individuals, as well as serving as advocate, counselor, cheerleader, nurse, mediator, etc.
But this is exactly where I want to be. I can't imagine doing anything else. Teaching phonics to first graders is hard. I've had some terrible lessons. But I've also taught a few great lessons too, and that is an incredible feeling. If I'm going to have an all consuming profession, I want it to be teaching young people.
No comments:
Post a Comment